General Secretary Job Posting 2020
Position Opening: The General Commission on Archives and History (GCAH) is seeking an experienced archives, library and history professional to act as its chief executive and administrative officer.
Job Title: General Secretary
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Madison, New Jersey – United Methodist Archives and History Center, Drew University campus
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience within existing guidelines
The General Commission on Archives and History is charged with promotion and care for the historical interests of The United Methodist Church (UMC) at every level. One of the 13 general boards and agencies of the UMC, it gathers, preserves and holds title to library and archival material for the denomination and disseminates interpretive materials on the history of the UMC and its antecedents.
Position Summary: The General Secretary (GS) is responsible for supervision over the operation, management, personnel (3 full-time, 1 part-time) and control of GCAH business. As the Commission’s chief executive officer, the GS leads its mission and mandates with strategic vision, oversees its administration, serves as editor of its publications, looks after its depositories and collections, fulfills its connectional responsibilities to the General Conference and General Conference agencies, maintains relations with Drew University, and gives executive leadership to the Commission’s board of directors.
- membership in The United Methodist Church
- advanced degree or certification in archival management or library science
- high-degree of computer, digitization literacy regarding archival best practices
- cognizant of current and future trends in archival best practices
- minimum 4 yrs. experience in archival oversight, planning and performance
- demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks
- proven skills in interpersonal, written and oral communications
- experience in planning and provides executive leadership at board meetings
- experience with the diverse cultural and global histories within the UMC
- ability to travel nationally and internationally
- a background demonstrating initiative, flexibility and commitment to professional engagement and continuous learning.
- PhD or advanced degree in history
- Certified Archivist (CA) or other archival certification
- familiarity with UMC polity and denominational structure
- problem-solving skills
- brings professional associations in fields of archiving and history
- planning and providing executive leadership at annual meeting of board of directors
- the financial health and well-being of the Commission
- the regular publication schedule of Methodist History journal (quarterly)
- regular connections with jurisdictional commissions on archive and history and the World Methodist Historical Society
- Send cover letter and resume electronically to email@example.com.
- May 1 - June 15, 2020
The General Commission on Archives and History is an
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer